Why Your Child is Safe At Orleans Primary School
Your child’s safety is of paramount importance to our school and we have clear and consistent policies and procedures in place to ensure that your child is safe. We meet all of the statutory requirements and regularly monitor our safeguarding provision.
We have a lead member of staff responsible for Child Protection and Safeguarding (Jane Evans, Headteacher) who meets regularly with the Lead Governor for Safeguarding (Alex Axiom, Chair of Governors), to monitor the impact of what we have in place; also ensuring we adhere to all legislation.
Below is an overview of the areas of school life which ensure the safety of our children:
- Safe recruitment of staff – including training of interview panel and all DBS checks.
- Clear and regularly reviewed policies - Safeguarding –including Child Protection, Accessibility, Behaviour, E-Safety –including Acceptable Use, Health and Safety and many other related policies. Policies linked here
- Site safety – our school has security doors on the main entrance. All visitors report to the main office in order to gain access to the building. The school is also covered by security cameras, all images are recorded on tape. Outside doors are locked during lesson time as a form of added security. We have a secure fenced school boundary which is regularly inspected and improved where necessary.
- We hold regular discussions and undertake surveys with the children regarding what is in place at our school to keep them safe and to improve awareness of their personal safety, including what to do and who to speak to if they have any worries or concerns.
- Online safety – we have a clear policy and procedure that all children use, in order to improve their safety whilst on the internet at school and at home. We run parent workshops on how to support your child with this. View Online Safety School Policy
- We have very high standards of behaviour and our behaviour across the school is very good. We have a clear rewards and sanctions policy which enables children to be clear about their responsibilities with regard to behaviour. We work in partnership with our parents/carers if there are any concerns.
- We don’t tolerate bullying and we act swiftly using our clear anti bullying policy and procedures if there are any concerns or issues
- Educational visits are always risk assessed. We ensure the ratio of adults to children meets or exceeds requirements so that your children can enjoy their school trips!
- We have 3 members of staff who are fully trained First Aiders. All staff have basic first aid training.
Children are sent to the medical room if they are hurt or feeling poorly. As well as medical attention a kind word and tlc are also applied!
- We are an inclusive school. Our Inclusion leader and SENCO (Leanne Ho - contactable via email@example.com) works closely with our children and their families to support any additional needs effectively.
- Health and Safety is rigorous at all times. Our Governors have a termly meeting with the Headteacher to monitor and discuss all aspects of H&S, including termly inspections.
- We teach the children many aspects of their personal safety through our curriculum. Discussions on safety measures and how they can keep themselves safe take place regularly.
- We provide a Termly Safeguarding Report to Governors. This ensures all aspects of safety provision are up to date.
- We have a strong belief in partnership working with our families. Our open door policy means that effective communication can take place.
- We work with Richmond Local Authority to provide any additional support to our families and children if and when it is needed.