UNICEF Rights Respecting School
Orleans Primary School is a Rights respecting school and we are extremely proud to have recently received the Bronze award. The Award is not just about what children do but also, importantly, what adults do. In Rights Respecting Schools children’s rights are promoted and realised. Adults and children work towards this goal together.
Being a Rights Respecting School links strongly with our whole school vision and values, helping to embed our expectations of how we can help develop our pupils critical thinking throughout their time at our school.
At Orleans Primary School we learn about the UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) and refer to our rights throughout our school day. We know that all children are entitled to the same rights and that these rights are protected by law. Together, the children and the school community learn about children’s rights, putting them into practice every day. View summary of the UNCRC
When the principles and values of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) are introduced and reinforced throughout school life, children and the wider school community benefit. Evidence suggests that these benefits include:
- Pupils develop a long-term commitment to values such as social justice and inclusion
- There is a reduction in bullying and discriminatory behaviour among children
- Pupils enjoy and feel safe at school
- Pupils feel included and valued
- Pupils’ wellbeing and emotional resilience is improved
- Pupils’ engagement in the school and their own learning is improved
- Pupils’ attainment is improved, and the attainment gap between disadvantaged and non-disadvantaged pupils is narrowed
- Pupils are more engaged in their local and global communities as ‘active citizens’
We are proud to be a Rights Respecting school and feel that it shows our commitment to British Values and our School Values. We focus on being local and global citizens that show respect and commitment to the articles in the UNCRC. We have certificates and awards that we work towards that are linked to articles in the UNCRC and that are completed in different year groups:
- Citizenship Certificates – Nursery to Year 4
- Citizenship Award – Year 5 and Year 6 View Citizenship Award Criteria
We have a steering group of children who lead the actions of the whole school so that it becomes rights respecting. Our steering group is made up of children from Year 1 through to Year 6.