PE AT ORLEANS PRIMARY SCHOOL
We are committed to ensuring that all pupils receive high quality, well planned PE delivered by confident and well trained teachers. We aim to engage and inspire all pupils to learn new skills, be confident and enjoy sports at our school. We employ a range of sports coaches to help us to achieve this aim.
Children are offered a varied selection of sports at Orleans and including football, cricket, tennis, dance, gymnastics and basketball. Children leave the school equipped to enjoy sport for all its health and social benefits. For those who relish the competitive element, they gain the skills, confidence and relevant experience to succeed.
All children take part in Athletics sessions in Summer term in preparation for our annual sports day.
- In the Foundation Stage children learn through: 'Physical development - Moving and Handling'. Children learn to move freely in a range of ways, such as shuffling, rolling, running, jumping, skipping, sliding and hopping. Children run skillfully and negotiate space successfully, adjusting speed or direction to avoid obstacles. Children can catch a large ball and negotiate space successfully when playing racing and chasing games with other children, adjusting speed or changing direction to avoid obstacles.
- Year 1 children build their skills which are essential for Sport; throwing & catching, bat & ball and partner skills are developed. Children also explore dance which is linked to a theme or text and also take part in Gymnastics.
- Within Year 2 children continue to develop the skills introduced in previous years. Children are introduced to sports such as Basketball, Football and Handball. Yoga is incorporated into Gymnastic classes and children explore various themes in Dance lessons.
- Swimming lessons are a central part of PE in Year 3 with each class spending half of the school year attending their weekly swimming lessons. Children also take their Football and Cricket sessions at Marble Hill Park. In gymnastics children further their skills and move onto more complex movements. Children continue with Dance lessons each half term.
- Year 4 offers the children the opportunity to explore Basketball, Cricket and OAA. The space at Marble Hill Park is utilised for OAA sessions. Gymnastics continues with children mastering their rolls and moving onto cartwheels. Different dance themes are explored and offer a wonderful stimulus for Dance lessons.
- In Year 5, pupils build their Hockey and Netball skills. Tag Rugby, Athletics and OAA sessions take part at Marble Hill Park. Different dance themes are explored and offer an interesting stimulus for Dance lessons (including Rock and Roll, 90s and Contempory). Further development of balances, rolls and routines continues in Year 5 through gymnastics.
- OAA, Hockey, Volleyball and Rounders are covered in Year 6. London Irish coaches deliver Tag Rugby for one half term. Children also learn about the core values of London Irish, exploring team work, resilience, respect and discipline through PSHE lesson let by same coaches. Dance and Gymnastics lessons focus on building on their skills learned throughout KS2 and preparing them for KS3 gymnastics