School meals for children in Reception to Year 2 are provided free of charge to parents under the Government Universal Infant Free School Meals scheme. All children entitled to UIFSM are provided with a hot, nutritious meal every day, and do not need to sign up to receive one. If your child has a food allergy or intolerance they will need to have a special menu agreed with Caterlink before they can have school meals, please contact the school office via firstname.lastname@example.org to start this process.
For children in Years 3 – 6, the cost of school meals are £2.70 per day. In order to sign up for your child to have school meals you must notify the school office in writing by emailing email@example.com and giving 5 days’ notice of this change. School meals must be taken 5 days per week, we are not able to allow children to mix and match school meals and packed lunches on different days. Parents of children who have school meals must ensure that their school meal accounts on ParentPay remain in credit – school meal accounts on must not be fall into debit. We know that some parents like to pay for half a term up front, in which case the cost for Spring 1 is £75.60 which can be paid via ParentPay. If your child has a food allergy or intolerance they will need to have a special menu agreed with Caterlink before they can have school meals, please contact the school office via firstname.lastname@example.org to start this process.
Children also have the option of bringing a packed lunch to school. We ask parents to send healthy lunches every day and do not allow fizzy drinks, sweets or crisps. We are also a nut and seed free school due to several children having a severe allergic reaction to nuts and seeds. Please note: this also includes peanut butter, which must not be sent into school. Please note that if your child brings in packed lunches from home, and these contain food that needs to be re-heated, we do not have the facilities to be able to heat food up for children.
For children aged 5 years and above preparing a healthy well-balanced child’s lunchbox, includes starchy food, protein foods, a dairy item, vegetables or salad, fruit and a healthy drink.
Healthy Schools London encourage you to:
LIMIT: Once per week
DO NOT INCLUDE:
For more information and advice, please visit:
For healthy lunchbox recipes and ideas, please visit:
Making simple, healthier swaps can make a difference to your child’s health. Please click on the link for more ideas of healthy lunch box swaps.
SCHOOL LUNCHES EXAMPLES
We wanted to show parents examples of the food that the children are eating at lunchtime if they have school meals. All of the meals are cooked on site daily by our wonderful chef, Margi, and the children are able to choose what they would like to have each day from the three available options, see menu at bottom of page.
There is a salad bar and a fruit bar that the children are able to help themselves to,
along with yoghurts and fruit infused water.
We have previously organised events where parents were able to sign up to come into school to try the food, meet the catering team, see the lunch service in action and offer their feedback.
Here are some comments received:
- Extremely impressed with the quality of the food and the care that goes into preparing it.
- Lots of parents thought meals were prepared offsite so it was encouraging to be told and shown who cooks the meals and that everything is freshly prepared in school.
- We now have a greater understanding of how the lunch service works, how independent the children are at choosing food, getting pudding, clearing away etc
- The portion control adjustment to the children's age was really interesting and useful to know as well as how children can get more food from the salad/fruit bar if they are still hungry
- There were concerns from parents around puddings being regularly served, however it was explained to us that the amount of sugar (as with all ingredients) is carefully weighed and limited according to the proportions appropriate to children.
- The children were extremely well behaved and were clearly enjoying their lunch!
- Overall thoroughly impressed, I was very jealous of the children's hot lunch!
School Lunch Menu: