Class Rep Role Summary
As the key link to enable the Headteacher, and OPPTA, to communicate with parents, the class representative is responsible for ensuring the success of school and PTA activities. They are also responsible for facilitating communication between the teacher and parents, and a vital feedback route into the Head.
- Communicate regularly with parents, by whatever means required to ensure that parents are aware of all important activities and issues affecting the school e.g. in person, by email, phone, etc
- Provide feedback to the class teacher/Headteacher on general questions, issues or concerns raised by parents. Note that while class reps should be willing to raise general questions with the class teacher/Head, if a parent has a specific concern or strong feeling about an issue, the clas rep should direct that parent to follow up their concern individually.
- Create and maintain a class contact list and emergency cascade system.
- Regularly read the school website/newsletter and be aware of what is happening in the school that parents may need to be aware of.
- Assist OPPTA in running fundraising events (outlined in the key activities document) throughout the year, by ensuring that each class contributes e.g. filling rota slots at school fairs, selling event/raffle tickets, etc.
- Pass on teacher and OPPTA notices to class parents.
- Arranging social events for the class, teachers presents, etc.
- Be available, in person or via email to ensure that School/OPPTA/teacher led events/issues/activities are communicated to class parents in a timely manner
- Willing and enthusiastic in drumming up support for school fundraising activities among parents. Ensuring that parents know how they are able to contribute to events. NB – fundraising etc voluntary.
- Set up and maintain contact lists
- Able to create and ensure completion of rotas. Oversee the collection of money and goods for fundraising events.
- Be willing to and sensitive in managing class questions/issues with teacher and head. Note that while class reps should be willing to raise general class questions with the class teacher/Head, if a parent has a specific concern or strong feeling about an issue, the class rep should direct that parent to follow up their concern individually.
- Be able to meet once a term with OPPTA/Head to cover major up and coming events/issues/activities.